(This Tomatillo Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas recipe is found on the site From Cats to Cooking here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
Tomatillo Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas will be yours in no time! Here’s what you’ll need: 1 pound of shredded Chicken (I poached chicken breasts and then shredded them), Olive Oil, Cumin, Oregano, Onion Powder, Coarse Sea Salt, 1 batch of Tomatillo Salsa Verde, 10 Tortillas (I used corn but next time I am going with flour tortillas because they’ll hold up better), 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese, 1 Lime, and then Sour Cream, sliced Green Onions, fresh Cilantro, and a tomato for garnish.
Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Then add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the juice of 1/2 a lime, 2 teaspoons of cumin, 1 teaspoon of oregano, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt to the chicken.
Then stir until the chicken is fully coated in the spices.
Grab a 2-quart baking dish and spray with cooking spray. Then spoon a thin layer of salsa verde over the bottom.
You’ll need about 10 tortillas, and they’re easiest to work with if they’re soft. So you’ll want to soften them in the microwave for about 30 seconds. One at a time add a small amount of chicken down the center with a little sprinkle of cheese. Then roll them up like you would a taquito or enchiladas (where you do NOT) fold in the sides).
Once you have all the tortillas rolled, your baking dish should be full. You’ll notice that some of the corn tortillas had cracked a bit. This is one reason I think I’ll try flour tortillas next time.
Then pour the rest of the salsa over the top of the enchiladas.
Finally sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake the Tomatillo Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
While the enchiladas cook, prep your ingredients you want for a garnish. All I had left was to dice up a tomato to go along with the green onion, cilantro, and sour cream.
Finally here is the Tomatillo Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas and all of its cheesy goodness! I let mine sit for 3-5 minutes before taking up. But eat them while they are still nice and warm. Serve the Tomatillo Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas with your favorite sides like Spanish rice and refried beans. Happy enchilada eating!!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts or Thighs (or pre-cooked shredded chicken)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp coarse Sea Salt
- Juice of ½ Lime
- 1 batch homemade Tomatillo Salsa Verde, or 2 cans store-bought Salsa Verde
- 10 tortillas (Corn Tortillas or soft Flour Tortillas can be used)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes, for topping (optional)
- Chopped Cilantro, for topping (optional)
- Chopped Green Onions, for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then prep your chicken. I preferred to poach my chicken (bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the raw chicken, cover, remove from the heat and let it poach for 12-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through). Then shred the chicken and toss it with the olive oil, cumin, oregano, onion powder, sea salt, and the juice of ½ a lemon. (Alternatively, you can slice the raw chicken and toss it with these ingredients and bake on a baking sheet for 10-12 minutes.)
- If using corn tortillas, heat them in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften them.
- Grab a 2-quart baking dish and spray with cooking spray. Then ladle a thin layer or salsa verde on the bottom of the dish. Fill the tortillas with a little chicken and sprinkle of cheese. Then roll up the tortillas and place in the baking dish.
- Once all of the enchiladas are filled and assembled, pour the rest of the salsa verde over the top of the tortillas. Then top with more shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are heated through.
- Let the enchiladas sit for 3-5 minutes so they’re a bit easier to serve. Enjoy right away and top with your favorite toppings like diced tomatoes, green onions, fresh cilantro, and sour cream.