(This Sweet Potato and Bean Quesadillas recipe can be found on the site The Pretty Bee here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
Here’s all you’ll need for this Sweet Potato and Bean Quesadillas dish, which is so good: 1 can of Refried Black Beans (or regular refried beans are just fine too), Sea Salt, Olive Oil, Cooking Spray of choice (I used an olive oil cooking spray), Pepper Jack Cheese, 1 Avocado, Ground Cumin, Tortillas of choice, and 2 Sweet Potatoes.
Start off by preheating the oven to 425 degrees. Then peel your sweet potatoes. Yes, I’m aware of how oddly shaped that potato is . . . haha!
Then I sliced the potatoes. I sliced them as you see above so that they would lay in a fairly flat layer in the quesadillas.
Grab a glass baking dish and combine the potatoes, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 teaspoons of ground cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. Once the potatoes are well coated, roast them in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or so. I stirred mine about 25 minutes through and removed them once they were tender and the edges were starting to brown and caramelize.
Here they are in all of their roasted glory. Remove them from the oven and transfer them to a bowl (so you don’t have to deal with the hot baking dish).
If you have a block of cheese, slice several thin pieces of the pepper jack cheese.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray liberally with cooking spray. On a cutting board I spread the refried beans over half of the tortilla so it was a bit easier to handle. Then transfer the tortilla (bean side up) to the hot skillet.
Add a layer of roasted sweet potatoes to the beans . . .
. . . followed by the sliced pepper jack cheese.
Then fold the other half of the tortilla over as you see here. Press it with a large spatula to make sure it stays in place. Cook it for about 2-3 minutes on the first side . . .
. . . and flip when that side is golden brown. Then cook the other side about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until it also has a nice golden, brown crust.
As the quesadilla cooks, slice and avocado so it’s on standby and ready for serving.
Once your quesadilla is nicely browned on each side, transfer it to a cutting board and let it sit for a minute or so.
Grab a serrated knife (this helps cut more cleanly) and cut your Sweet Potato and Bean Quesadillas into as many pieces as you’d like. Four wedges felt like a good number to me. Then serve it up immediately with your choice of avocado slices, sour cream, or avocado lime cream sauce. I loved eating it with a slice of avocado on top of each quesadilla. It was a nice fresh taste to cut the richness of the quesadilla. Hope you enjoy & happy quesadilla making!
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- Cooking Spray
- 4 Tortillas (whatever tortillas are your favorite will work)
- 1 can Black Bean Refried Beans (regular refried beans will work as well)
- Pepper Jack Cheese, sliced
- Start off by preheating your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a glass baking dish combine the sliced sweet potatoes, olive oil, cumin and sea salt together. Once the potatoes are well coated, bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and starting to brown on the edges.
- When the potatoes are roasted, remove them from the oven. Then heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray liberally with cooking spray. While the pan heats, spread the refried beans over half of a tortilla. Place in the heated pan bean side up.
- Place a layer of the sweet potatoes on top of the beans followed by a thin layer of pepper jack cheese slices. Then fold the other half of the tortilla over and press down with a large spatula.
- Heat the first side for 2-3 minutes or until that side is a golden brown. Carefully flip and cook the second side another 1½ minutes to 2 minutes or until that side is also golden brown.
- Transfer the quesadilla to a cutting board and let it sit for about a minute. Then cut into wedges and serve immediately. You can serve it with fresh avocado slices, sour cream, or this avocado lime cream found in this link. And enjoy! Fast and easy!