(Recipe can be found on the Eating for England site here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
To pull off this delicious salad, a handful of ingredients are needed: Freshly cracked Pepper, Kosher Salt, White Wine Vinegar, Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, about 5 cups of Salad Greens, Juice from 1/2 a Lemon, 1 Pink Grapefruit, 3 Ounces of Fresh Goat Cheese, and Lightly Toasted Pumpkin Seeds.
To begin, I toasted my pumpkin seeds. This is super easy. Just grab a small pan and turn up the heat to medium-high. Once the pan is hot, pour in the seeds and lightly toast them for a few minutes, stirring regularly.
Grab a microplane grater if you have one, and zest about a quarter of the grapefruit. You’ll want about 1 teaspoon of zest. Things were already smelling delicious at this point!
Now it’s time to cut up the grapefruit. Don’t let this fruit intimidate you with its tartness or difficulty eating…it’s a cinch. Start off using a sharp chef’s knife and cut off the ends of the grapefruit.
Using the chef’s knife, work your way around the grapefruit and cut off the rind, as you’ll see above. Try to keep as much of the fruit as possible.
The grapefruit gets segmented now into about 12 segments. Take a paring knife and cut out each segment in between the bitter white membrane. Then cut each segment into 2 or 3 bite-sized pieces. Set aside the grapefruit.
With my hand held juicer, I then juiced half of a lemon.
It’s time to put together the citrus dressing by combining the grapefruit zest, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl.
Then whisk in 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil to complete the dressing. Yummy!!
In a large bowl, place the salad greens. Pour the dressing over the greens and crumble half of the goat cheese over the salad. Using your hands mix the salad so that every green is nicely coated.
Now it’s time to serve immediately. The dish makes four servings, so divide it up and add the grapefruit to each salad. Cut the remaining goat cheese into four discs and top each salad with one piece. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds over the top and add freshly cracked pepper to each salad. This is such a bright, cheerful salad that is perfect for Spring. Happy eating!!
Wintry Salad with Grapefruit and Goat Cheese
(Makes 4 servings)
1 pink grapefruit
2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
Pinch of coarse salt
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 a lemon, juiced
8 cups salad greens (choose a peppery mix such as Belgian endive, frisee, mizuna, and arugula)
3 ounces fresh goat cheese, room temperature
2 tbsp raw (or lightly toasted) pumpkin seeds
Freshly ground pepper
1. Zest about one-quarter of the grapefruit rind to produce about 1 tsp finely grated zest. Set aside.
2. Segment the grapefruit. Cut each segment into 2-3 bite-sized pieces; set aside.
3. Place grated zest in a small bowl and add vinegar, lemon juice, and salt. Whisk in oil, and set aside.
4. Prepare salad greens (tear, chop, shred) and drizzle with dressing. Crumble in half of the goat cheese and toss thoroughly with your hands to coat leaves evenly.
5. Divide among four salad plates, and evenly divide grapefruit slices between each plate. Slice remaining goat cheese into four rounds, and place one on top of each salad. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, season with pepper, and serve immediately. Serves four.0
Subscribe To My Newsletter!
Ready to get weekly recipes, cooking tips, and more delivered straight to your inbox? Perfect! Sign up here and you're in.
Leave a Reply