(Recipe can be found at Tasty Kitchen site here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
To make this sweet risotto dish, the following ingredients are needed: Port Wine, 1 1/2 cup of chopped Rhubarb, Granulated Sugar, Skim Milk, Kosher Salt, 2 Tablespoons of Butter, Fresh Nutmeg, Mascarpone Cheese, Vanilla Extract (I actually used Vanilla Bean Paste), Sliced Strawberries (I only did 1 cup, since I wasn’t making the full 4 servings), and White Arborio Rice.
For four servings, 2 cups of strawberries are needed. I was only serving two people and didn’t want to waste strawberries, so I sliced up one strawberry and stirred in 1/8 cup of granulated sugar. Then I set the bowl aside.
In a small saucepan, stir together 2/3 cup of Port Wine and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.
Bring the wine and sugar mixture to a boil, and continue to cook it for 7 minutes.
Then add the chopped rhubarb to the wine sauce and continue to cook it for another 7 minutes.
Once the sauce is cooked, set it aside.
Then heat 3 1/2 cups of water and then reduce the heat to low to keep it warm.
At the same time, in a separate pan simmer the skim milk, salt, 1/4 cup of sugar, and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg.
Once I had reduced the heat on the water, I melted two tablespoons of butter in a Dutch Oven.
To the melted butter, I added 1 cup of Arborio Rice and stirred constantly for about a minute.
Then add 1/2 cup of the warm water until the rice absorbs the water.
Then add another 1/2 cup until all of the water has been added.
Then begin adding the milk mixture 1/2 cup at a time until the liquid is absorbed.
Now is the time to add the vanilla extract. I actually used vanilla bean paste as a substitute for the vanilla extract. Stir the vanilla into the risotto for about a minute.
Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in 1/4 cup of mascarpone cheese.
Then serve the desired amount of risotto in a bowl…
…top with rhubarb sauce and then spoon the strawberries on top of the rhubarb. Now it’s time to enjoy this sweet and flavorful dish. The rhubarb and port sauce add a really special twist to the risotto. Yum!!!
2 cups Strawberries, Sliced
¾ cup Sugar (divided Use)
⅔ cup Port Wine
1-½ cup Rhubarb, Chopped
3-½ cups Water
2 cups Skim Milk
¼ teaspoon Salt
⅛ teaspoon Nutmeg
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 cup Arborio Rice, Uncooked
½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
¼ cup Mascarpone Cheese
1. Combine the strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl and set aside.
2. Next combine the Port and 1/4 cup of sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook for 7 minutes. Stir in chopped rhubarb and cook an additional 7 minutes.
3. Next, in a small sauce pan simmer 3-1/2 cups of water. Keep warm over low heat.
4. In another small sauce pan simmer the milk, remaining sugar, salt and nutmeg over low heat.
5. In a large Dutch oven, melt the butter. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup of the hot water from the small sauce pan, cook for 3 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Again stir constantly. Add remaining water 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and waiting until all of the liquid is absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup. Once all of the water is absorbed, begin adding the simmering milk mixture, 1/2 cup at a time until absorbed, stirring constantly.
6. Finally stir in vanilla and cook for an additional minute.
7. Remove from heat and stir in the mascarpone.
8. Place desired serving in bowls and top with rhubarb mixture and strawberries.0