(Recipe can be found on the site Cookin’ Canuck here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
You won’t believe how fast this Spicy Stir-Fry Bok Choy with Ginger and Soy Sauce comes together. Here’s what you’ll need: Hot Chili Paste, Sesame Oil, Canola Oil, Soy Sauce, Fresh Ginger, Garlic & Baby Bok Choy. (I had 2 heads of baby bok choy instead of 6, so I adjusted the amounts for everything.)
Here’s what the baby bok choy looks like. Isn’t it cute?
Begin by quartering each head of bok choy lengthwise. Then wash them really well to get rid of any dirt in the veggie. I used a fruit and veggie spray and then rinsed them really well and patted them dry. But you can also soak them in water and rinse them and repeat until they are clean.
Next up mince your garlic.
Then cut off a piece of ginger and peel it. I used about 1/2 an inch of ginger, but if you are using 6 heads of bok choy go for an inch and a half of ginger. Now this is where I need you to use your imagination and imagine this piece of ginger nicely minced. Can you envision it? Great! Cuz I forgot to take a picture of that…moving on!
Since I only had 2 heads of bok choy I used a smaller skillet, but if you have more use a larger pan or wok. Heat the pan over medium-high heat and add canola oil.
Once the oil is hot add your ginger and garlic and stir constantly (this part was happening fast, so we’re just a wee bit blurry here).
After about 30 seconds the ginger and garlic are cooked.
Then add the quartered bok choy.
Stir constantly for about a minute.
Then add about a tablespoon of water to the pan and cover it for 30-60 seconds. You’re looking for the bok choy to wilt.
Add the soy sauce, chili paste and sesame oil to the bok choy and stir it up.
Then remove the pan from the heat and leave covered for about 30 seconds.
Remove the lid, stir and serve it up. The flavors in this dish are fabulous and it all comes together so fast, you won’t believe it. I served it with a tilapia filet but it would be great with your favorite meat. I was just looking for something that would cook quickly, plus it was wonderful with some sauce from the pan drizzled over the top for some extra umph. Just trust me that this was delightful! Happy sauteeing!
Makes 4 Servings as a side.
1 1/4 lb. baby bok choy (approximately 6 heads)
1 tbsp canola oil
1 piece (1 1/2-inch long) fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp soy sauce
3/4 tsp hot chili with garlic sauce (can adjust to taste)
2 tsp sesame oil
1. Start off with prepping the baby bok choy. I cut the bok choy in quarters lengthwise, and then sprayed with vegetable & fruit spray and rinsed thoroughly. You can also soak it in a large bowl of water and rinse until the veggie is free of dirt. Then pat the bok choy dry.
2. Time to start cooking. Grab a large skillet or wok and add the canola oil. Heat over a medium-high heat.
3. Once the oil is hot add the garlic and ginger and stir constantly for about 15 seconds.
4. Add the bok choy to the pan and stir constatnly for another minute. Then add a tablespoon of water to the pan and place the lid on it for about 30 to 60 seconds. The idea is to steam the bok choy until it is wilted.
5. Once the bok choy is wilted, remove the lid and add the soy sauce, hot chili sauce, and sesame oil to the bok choy and stir it all together.
6. Take the pan off of the heat and place the cover back on. You’ll let the dish steam for another 30 seconds and then serve.0