(Recipe can be found on the site Sprout & Pea here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
Red Chard and Garlic Linguine will be on the table in no time with the following ingredients: Salt & Pepper, 1/2 box of Linguine (8 ounces, and you can really use whatever pasta you prefer), about 3-4 Leaves of Red Chard, 1 Lemon, Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, White Wine (I went for a Pinot Griggio that I knew I’d drink), Parmesan Cheese, 5 Garlic Cloves, and Red Pepper Flakes if you want an added kick.
Begin by prepping the food. I started off with thinly slicing 5 cloves of garlic. These don’t have to be perfect.
Then I moved onto the red chard. I sliced the leaves into about 4 strips lengthwise and then cut each strip into bite-sized pieces. I did remove the long stems of the leaves beforehand, but I did use the rest of the leaf. I thought it was really fun to see that dark red in the dish.
Then cook your pasta according to the package’s directions.
While the pasta cooked, I heated about 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
Add the sliced garlic to the oil…
…and if you want a little heat add some crushed red pepper flakes. Then cook the garlic until it’s golden brown and you can really smell the garlic.
Add the chopped red chard and about 2 or 3 tablespoons of white wine to the pan and stir it up. Cover the pan and let the chard cook for about 10-15 minutes until it’s softened.
While the chard cooked, I zested half of a lemon.
After 10 minutes, the chard was softened. I was a bit concerned that it was browned, but it really added a lot of flavor to the dish, so it was a-okay!
Then add in the zest of half a lemon and salt and pepper to your taste and stir it up.
The pasta was cooked and cooling at this point, so just add it into the pan and toss it with the red chard mixture. Then serve it up and top the pasta with some more lemon zest and grated Parmesan cheese. And dig in! It was soooo delicious! Happy chard-ing!
Half box Linguine (I used whole wheat linguine, but pick your favorite pasta or a Quinoa Linguine if you’re looking for something gluten-free)
3-4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
5-6 cloves of garlic cut into thin slices
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
3-4 pieces of red chard chopped into small pieces
2-3 tbs dry white wine
Zest of half a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan to top with
1. Start off cooking your pasta according to the package’s instructions.
2. Then in a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and stir until the garlic starts to turn a golden brown and you can smell the garlic.
3. Then add in the red chard and white wine and cover the pan. Cook it for about 10-15 minutes over medium heat until the chard is cooked and soft.
4. Remove the lid and add the zest of 1/2 a lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Finally toss the cooked pasta with the chard mixture until the pasta is fully coated. Serve immediately and grate some additional lemon zest and Parmesan cheese over the top. Enjoy!!0