(Recipe can be found on the Not Eating Out In New York site here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
To make this delicious salad, the following ingredients are needed: Salt, Pepper, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sweet Pepper, 2 Peaches (I used white peaches), 1 Lemon, 1 Shallot, and 4 beets.
Begin by pre-heating the oven to 375 degrees. Then start washing the beets and cut off the leafy part of the stems as you see above. Next, cut off the remaining stems and set them aside for later. Remove the root on the end of the beets and any long strands on the beets.
Then individually wrap each beet tightly in foil and roast in a pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes.
While the beets roasted, I took the time to finely chop the beet stems until I had 1/4 cup.
Once the beets are out of the oven, unwrap the foil and let them cool until they are about at room temperature.
In the meantime, I finely chopped the green pepper until I had 1/4 cup.
Then I very finely chopped one shallot.
In a large bowl, I combined the green peppers, shallots, beet stems, salt, pepper, 2 T. olive oil, and juice of one lemon.
It doesn’t take long for the beets to cool. I then used a paring knife to remove the stem and the skin. Then, depending upon the beet’s size, I cut into 4 or 8 wedges.
I purchased 2 white peaches, which I washed and then cut into wedges and discarded the pit.
The peaches and beets get added to the bowl and gently tossed together. Then it’s time to serve. I put about 1/4 of the salad in a bowl and topped it with fresh basil, and ta-da! This is an easy dish to put together that looks stunning and tastes wonderful! Enjoy!
Peach and Roasted Beet Salad
(makes 4-6 servings)
2 medium-sized peaches
1 shallot or 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
about 1/4 cup sweet bell or cubano pepper, finely chopped
about 1/4 cup the beet stems, finely chopped (only use if crisp)
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
handful fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Wash each beet and remove any long strands. Wrap individually in foil and place on an oven-safe tray.
3. Roast approximately 30-40 minutes (depending on the size of your beets). Remove from oven, unwrap foil, and let cool completely.
4. Once cool enough to handle, peel the skins off (they should slip off easily). Cut into quarter or eighth wedges.
5. In a large bowl, toss the onion, pepper and beet stems with the olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Carefully cut peaches into wedges and discard the pits.
7. Gently toss in the beet and peach wedges, and add the basil leaves for garnish just before serving.0