(Recipe can be found at the Ambitious Kitchen site here.)
Step by Step ingredients:
To make these light and fluffy pancakes, the following ingredients are needed: Salt, 3 Egg Whites, All-Purpose Flour, 1 cup of cooked Quinoa, 1 Lemon, Baking Powder, Fat-free greek yogurt, 2/3 cup of fresh Blueberries, Brown Sugar, Skim Milk, Vanilla Bean Paste (or Vanilla extract).
In a medium-sized bowl combin the 1 cup of cooked quinoa, 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/3 teaspoon of Kosher salt in a bowl.
In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together three egg whites, 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt (I used fat-free Fage brand yogurt), 2 tablespoons of milk, and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar until the mixture is smooth.
Then add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir it together until it’s evenly combined.
Add in 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste in my case. (You’ve seen me use my vanilla bean paste in place of vanilla extract pretty consistently. It’s one of my favorite ingredients that I use regularly and then you get to see the vanilla bean throughout the food you make.)
I rinsed 2/3 cup of blueberries and added them to the batter. They just need to be folded in ever so gently…
…until they are mixed throughout the batter. (PS – I love fresh blueberries!)
I heated my pan over medium heat and sprayed it with cooking spray. Then I measured 1/4 cup of batter and poured it into the pan. Just cook the pancakes for about 2 minutes on each side…
…and flip them over. You’ll know it’s time to flip when you see the pancakes bubbling up when you first put them in the pan. Then repeat until you have cooked all of the pancakes.
Serve these with some syrup, fruit preserves or even peanut butter, and you’ll be hooked. Trust me that you will quickly forget that you made pancakes out of quinoa, because they are so light and fluffy and reminded me of pancakes when I was growing up! Delish!
Lemon Blueberry Quinoa Pancakes
(Heavily adapted from Martha Stewart)
1 cup cooked quinoa
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
3 large egg whites
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
2 tablespoons of milk of your choice (skim, soy, almond, coconut)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup fresh blueberries
Fresh fruit or fruit preserves (optional), for serving
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, yogurt, milk, and brown sugar until smooth.
3. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.
4. Add vanilla and lemon juice and whisk again. Next gently fold in blueberries.
5. Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter or cooking spray and heat over medium. Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top, about 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more melted butter and remaining batter.
*Makes about 8 pancakes. Top with fruit preserves, peanut butter, or maple syrup.0