(Recipe can be found on the site Plain Chicken here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
All you need for Kalua Pork is Liquid Smoke, Hawaiian Sea Salt, and Pork Sirloin Roast. That’s it! Now just a side note here…the recipe calls for 6 pounds of roast. I could only get about 3 pounds of roast, which was fine by me, because while I love pork, I really don’t need 6 pounds of it.
Here’s the Hawaiian sea salt I used. I’m sure you could use any kind of sea salt you’d like, but since I had the Hawaiian variety on hand I figured it would be fun to keep it authentic!
Add the liquid smoke to the sea salt. I halved my amounts here since my pork roast was smaller.
Time to work with the pork roast. Grab a fork and pierce holes all over the roast. This will help the pork absorb more flavor.
Place the roast in the crock pot. Pour about half of the liquid mixture over the pork and rub it in.
Flip over the roast and pour the remaining liquid and salt over it and rub it in so the pork is completely coated.
Cover the insert of the crock-pot and turn the crock-pot on the lowest setting. Cook it for 16-20 hours and flip the meat once during the cooking process.
Once the meat is cooked, remove it from the crock-pot and place it on a cutting board. It was sooooo tender and smelled fabulous!
Use a fork and shred the pork. Then serve it up. I love a good pork sandwich so I served mine with some of my favorite BBQ sauce and dug in. This was fabulous! Happy roasting!!
1 (6 pound) pork butt roast
3 Tbsp Hawaiian sea salt
3 Tbsp liquid smoke flavoring
1. Begin by combining the sea salt and liquid smoke.
2. Take a fork and pierce the pork roast all over. Be sure to flip it and poke away!
3. Place the pork in the crock-pot insert and rub the salt/liquid smoke mixture over the pork and make sure that all of the pork is covered.
4. Turn the crock-pot on the lowest setting and put the lid on. Cook at the lowest setting for 16-20 hours. Be sure to flip the pork over once during the cooking process.
5. When the pork is done cooking remove it from the crock-pot and shred it with a fork. Serve and enjoy!0