(Recipe can be found on the site A Beautiful Mess here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
Creamy Broccoli Pasta is the perfect weeknight meal. All you’ll need is Basil (6 fresh basil leaves are preferred but my freeze-dried basil worked as a great substitute), Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 head of Broccoli cut up, Salt, Pepper, Linguine (or Fettuccine), Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese, 3 Garlic Cloves and 2 Egg Yolks.
Choose your method to cook your broccoli. I used this handy dandy steamer that cooks the veggies in the microwave.
As the broccoli cooks, grab 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and remove the outer skin.
Grab a large pot and get some water boiling for the pasta.
It’s a bit hard to see here, but the goal with the broccoli is to have it break up pretty easily with a fork.
Put the cooked broccoli, basil, and garlic in a blender or food processor. A note on the basil. If you have fresh basil on hand…awesome! If you have to go for the freeze-dried variety in the colder months of the year, I used 3 heaping tablespoons to get the approximate amount of basil I’d have with fresh basil.
Add the pasta to boiling water and cook according to the package instructions. This recipe calls for about half a package, but I wanted, nay I needed, leftovers. I therefore cooked the whole package.
Here’s the broccoli after it was pureed in the blender.
Once your broccoli is broken down, add it to a large sauce pan along with at least 1/2 cup of heavy cream and 2 egg yolks. Heat it over medium heat.
Stir up the broccoli mixture until it’s well combined. If it’s not as creamy as you’d like, you can add some more cream or ladle in some pasta water to thin it down.
Once the pasta is cooked, transfer it right into the saucepan along with 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
Use tongs to toss the pasta until it’s well coated. Add salt and pepper to taste and also add any more liquid if needed. Then continue to toss.
Here it is in all of it’s pasta glory. Serve it up right away. Top with some more grated Parmesan or use a vegetable peeler to get some Parmesan shavings. I also topped mine with some red pepper flakes for an added kick. Yum, yum, yum! Next time, I plan to make it with some shrimp or checken next time. Happy day to you my fellow pasta lovers!!
1 large head of Broccoli (about 10 oz. is what I used)
8 oz. Linguine or Fettuccine Pasta
6 Basil leaves
2-3 cloves of Garlic
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
2 Egg Yolks
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
1. Start off by cooking your broccoli. You’re looking for it to be tender enough that you can mash it pretty easily with a fork.
2. While hte broccoli cooks, get a large pot of water boiling for your pasta. Once boiling, cook the pasta according to the package’s directions.
3. Once the broccoli is tender, add it to a blender or food processor along with the garlic cloves and basil. Blend until the mixture is well pureed.
4. Transfer the broccoli to a large saucepan. Heat it over medium heat and add 2 egg yolks and the heavy cream. Stir it together. If you want the mixture to be creamier, just add some more cream or pasta water.
5. Once the pasta is cooked add it to the broccoli sauce and toss until the pasta is well coated. At this point, add some salt and pepper. You can keep adjusting if you want the pasta creamier by adding more cream or water too. Then serve! You can top with additional cheese and red pepper flakes if you’d like.0