(Recipe can be found on the Cooking Light site here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
This delish Banana Bread comes together in a snap and only requires the following ingredients: Salt, Baking Soda, 1/2 stick of Butter (softened), Vanilla Extract (or Vanilla Bean Paste is my go-to substitute), All-Purpose Flour, Greek Yogurt (I used Fage brand fat free plain yogurt), 2 eggs, Sugar, and 3 dark Bananas (the darker the better for this recipe).
Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Then peel the bananas and mash them with a fork. You should have about 1 1/2 cups of mashed banana.
In a medium-sized bowl whisk together 2 cups of flour, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
In my Kitchen Aid stand mixer, I added the softened half stick of butter and 1 cup of sugar and creamed it for about 1 minute.
Then add the first egg and mix until it’s well incorporated.
Next the second egg is added and incorporated.
The remaining ingredients are added and combined, including the mashed banana, 1/3 cup of plain low-fat yogurt, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste or extract.
The dry ingredients are slowly combined with the batter in the mixer until it’s just moist.
The finished batter is then spooned into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan that was coated with cooking spray.
After an hour, test the bread with a toothpick to ensure it comes out clean and then cool the bread in the plan on a wire cooling rack for 10 minutes. You can see how the bread has pulled away from the sides a bit to make it easy to remove.
After 10 minutes, remove the bread carefully from the pan and let it completely cool on the wire rack. Once it’s cooled, dive in. Be sure to share with your friends and family so that you are their favorite person that day. It was a huge hit with my family!
Classic Banana Bread
Makes 14 servings, with 1 slice being 1 serving
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
3. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist.
4. Spoon batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Amount per serving
Calories from fat: 21%
Saturated fat: 2.4g
Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g