(Recipe can be found on the Eating for England site here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
To make this lovely salad, the following ingredients are needed: Fresh Cilantro, Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, 1 can of Black Beans, Quinoa, Cherry Tomatoes, 1 Avocado, the juice of 1 Lime, 1/2 of a Red Onion, 1 Garlic Clove, Ground Cumin and 1 Red Bell Pepper.
Since the quinoa needs about 20 minutes to cook, I went ahead and started it. I began by heating 1 T. of olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
Once the oil is hot, I added 1 cup of quinoa to the oil and stirred it fairly constantly for 2-3 minutes.
At this point, 1 3/4 cups of water gets added to the quinoa. I brought the water to a small boil and then covered the pan and simmered the quinoa over a low heat for 20 minutes.
While the quinoa cooked, I chopped one red pepper.
Next up, I chopped 1/2 of a red onion.
Then I washed a handful of cherry tomatoes. I cut off the stems and then quartered the tomatoes.
I grabbed a small handful of cilantro and chopped it up as well. I also minced one clove of garlic at this time.
I also made the dressing ahead of time by combining 1/2 T. olive oil, the juice of one lime, 1/2 t. cumin, salt to taste and whisking the ingredients together.
At this point the quinoa was cooked. I removed it from the heat and fluffed it. Doesn’t it look so cool?! Love this food!
I had drained and rinsed a can of black beans which got added to the quinoa. The mixture cooled for about 5 minutes.
While the quinoa and beans cooled, I chopped up one avocado…yum!
All of the ingredients, including the dressing, get added to the quinoa and beans after the five minutes expires.
The components get mixed together and voila, the dish is done. Super easy and crazy good! Serve and enjoy.
1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 3/4 cup water
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, chopped into chunks
handful cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 red onion, diced
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped into chunks
small handful cilantro, diced
1 limes, juiced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tbsp olive oil
salt, to taste
1. Warm the olive/coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once it’s hot add the rinsed quinoa and toast for about 2-3 minutes until it starts smelling nutty and lovely. Add water, stir once, cover, and simmer with a lid on for 20 minutes.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, prepare all other ingredients. Prepare the dressing by combining the lime juice, oil, cumin, and salt. Whisk it aggressively. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
3. When the quinoa has finished cooking, remove it from heat and fluff with a fork. Add black beans and toss to warm them through.
4. Let the quinoa cool for about five minutes and then add all the remaining ingredients, including the dressing, and mix. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
5. Serve with tortilla chips and a refreshing, cold beer.