(Recipe can be found on The Recipe Critic site here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
This Firecracker Chicken dish is uber easy and only requires the following ingredients: Light Brown Sugar, Salt, 2 Large Eggs, Canola Oil, Hot Sauce (I opted for Frank’s), Apple Cider Vinegar, Red Pepper Flakes, Pepper, Corn Starch, and Chicken Breasts (I only used 3 instead of 4 breasts, so just use however many you find).
Begin by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Then move onto the chicken. Thank goodness Robbie Williams was singing me to a happier place as I cut up 3 chicken breasts. Icky! Season with salt and pepper and toss the chicken so all of the pieces are coated in seasoning.
Once the chicken is cut up, I put 1 cup of cornstarch in a large baggie.
Add the chicken to the corn starch. Seal up the baggie and toss until all of the pieces are well coated in cornstarch.
Break 2 eggs into a container and break them up with a fork.
In batches I place the chicken in the eggs and made sure each piece was evenly coated.
In a large pan, heat about 1/4 cup of canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for several minutes, turning and stirring occasionally until each piece gets browned.
While the chicken cooks, make the sauce. Combine 1/3 cup of hot sauce. I used Frank’s brand or whatever your favorite hot sauce or buffalo sauce is. Add 1 1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of water, 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. If you want a serious kick, you could definitely up the amount of red pepper flakes you use.
Then whisk up the sauce and set it aside.
Once the chicken is browned, transfer it to a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Then pour the sauce over the top of the chicken and stir it so that each piece has sauce on it.
Bake the chicken for 1 hour. I stirred mine every 15 minutes or so until it’s golden brown and smells delicious. I do apologize for the blurry pic- I was just in a huge rush to dig in. Can you blame me?!
Serve with some white rice and top with some sliced scallions and enjoy! I cannot wait to make this again…it was THAT good!
¼ cup canola oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup cornstarch
2 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup buffalo sauce (if you like more heat use hot sauce, like Frank’s brand)
1 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
2. In separate bowls, place cornstarch and slightly beaten eggs. Dip chicken into cornstarch then coat in egg mixture. I have also found that you can put the cornstarch in a gallon sized bag and shake the chicken to coat.
3. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned. Place the chicken in a 9 x 13 greased baking dish.
4. In a medium sized mixing bowl, buffalo sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, water, salt and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken and bake for 1 hour.
5. I stirred the chicken every 15 minutes so that it coated them in the sauce.