I recently saw this quote and really love it:
Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.
Do you know what your dreams look like? If you really let yourself close your eyes and think on how you would love for your future to be regardless of anything you feel like is holding you back…what do you see?
Seriously, take a few seconds and dare yourself to dream. It’s actually really fun!
What would your dream job be? What would your dream home look like? How would your relationship be with your partner or what are you looking for in a dream partner if you’re single? Where would you travel? How much money would you have? What would you drive? What outfit would you be wearing?
Isn’t that so fun?! Be super clear and specific when you can with this activity so it feels real to you.
So the reason I wanted you to do that is not just that it’s fun to allow yourself to dream. But it also makes you really happy. Think on how much joy this activity brings to you.
Ah, the Past:
I know it’s easy for you to think back on the past and the mistakes you feel like you’ve made. I know this, because I’m human and do it too.
I think it’s great when you can learn from the past and appreciate past mistakes, but there is no need for you to dwell in the past. It’s so important for you, your health, and your happiness to focus on the here and now, and what you can do to work towards the dreams you just pictured for yourself.
So yes, acknowledge the past. It happened, you lived it, you learned a ton, you’re so much wiser for it…but don’t spend much time today thinking back on it. Allow yourself to focus on where you want to go and keep moving forward. After all, turning around and holding onto the past will not aid you in the act of improving your future.
Thanks, Past! I’m moving on now!
Here’s what you need to do:
- Thank the past for all it’s done for you.
- Turn around and face the present.
- Think of what actions you can do in the present to live the future of your dreams. (Start looking for a new job if you’re unhappy, form a plan to improve your relationships, if you need extra income begin brainstorming ways to bring in more money, start a new diet to get the figure of your dreams, de-clutter your home to relieve some stress, take up your favorite hobbies, etc.)
- Get to work on one or two of the actions you just wrote down. Every step you take (no matter how tiny it feels) gets you closer to your dreams.
- Read a personal development book every day. Think about where in your life do you need some help, and find some books that will help you improve in those areas.
Trust me that your future will be way more interesting than your past when you allow it to be. So move forward even if it’s what you perceive to be the smallest action. Your future self will thank your present self for doing this.
What does your dream look like? I’d love to know, so comment below! I’ll start:
Mine is full of travel, a beautiful home with a killer kitchen, and my future is filled with love, laughter, joy, great food and financial freedom. 🙂