(Recipe can be found at the site Budget Bites here.)
Step by Step Ingredients:
This Sausage, Spinach, Mushroom and Feta Crustless Quiche will come together before you know it with the following ingredients, and I hope it inspires you to change it up as well and make it highlight your favorite things: Salt & Pepper, Minced Garlic, 4 Eggs, 8 ounces of fresh Mushrooms, Sausage (if you so desire), 2 ounces of Feta Cheese, Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, Parmesan Cheese (which I hand-grated), a 10 ounce package of frozen Spinach, and 1 cup of Milk.
I started by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Then I defrosted the spinach in the microwave and let it drain in a fine mesh strainer.
Then I started heating about 1 tablespoon of oil and some red pepper flakes in a non-stick pan.
Then start cooking the sausage when the oil is hot.
Once the sausage is finished let it cool and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
This part took the longest for me. Using a damp paper towel wipe off the mushrooms and chop them into small pieces.
In the same pan I cooked the sausage in, I put the mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic in it with salt and pepper to taste. Then bring the heat up to a medium-high heat and cook the mushrooms until all of the moisture is gone.
While the mushrooms cooked, I grated 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
Once the mushrooms were finished I moved them off the heat til I was ready for them.
I used paper towels to help me squeeze out the remaining water from the spinach and them layered the spinach in the bottom of a pie pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
Then in went the sausage. I had some left over, which seemed like a very good thing to me.
In went the mushrooms. Confession: I’ve never loved cooked mushrooms personally so maybe next time I’d try without them. But the baby portabellos were actually pretty darned tasty.
Add in 2 ounces of crumbled Feta cheese. This was the point I almost substituted goat cheese, but I try not to hit everyone over the head with goat cheese constantly – I try. 😉
Then whisk together the eggs and add 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and some more freshly ground pepper.
Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the pie pan and top with 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella.
Bake the quiche in the oven for 45-60 minutes until it’s golden brown on top and fully cooked. It took my oven about 45 minutes. Then slice into 6 servings and dive in. This was super flavorful and really filling. Yum-o! Happy baking!
Makes 6 Servings
1 package of sausage
8 oz. fresh mushrooms
½ tsp minced garlic
as needed non-stick spray
1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 oz. feta cheese
¼ cup grated parmesan
½ cup shredded mozzarella
to taste salt & pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. If your frozen spinach is not already thawed, thaw it in the microwave. Empty the box into a colander and let it drain while you begin to prepare the rest. It was at this point that I also cooked the sausage.
2. Quickly rinse the mushrooms and slice them thinly. Place the sliced mushrooms in a skillet coated with non-stick spray, add the minced garlic, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper. Turn the heat on to medium-high and saute the mushrooms until they release all of their moisture and no more water remains on the bottom of the skillet (5-7 minutes).
3. Spray a pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and spread it out on the bottom of the pie dish. Next add the cooked mushrooms and crumbled feta.
4. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs until fairly smooth. Add the milk, parmesan, and another small sprinkle of pepper. Whisk to combine. (This step can be completed while the mushrooms are cooking) Pour this mixture into the pie dish over the spinach, mushrooms, and feta.
5. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over top. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet for easy transfer into the oven. Place the quiche into the preheated oven and bake until it is golden brown on top and the center is solid. Every oven is different but this should take between 45 minutes and an hour. Slice and serve!