(Recipe can be found on the site Babble here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
This Quinoa and Kale Salad with Pomegranates and Goat Cheese will hit the spot and here’s what you’ll need: Salt & Pepper, Quinoa (1 cup uncooked), Olive Oil, one bunch of Kale, Goat Cheese, 1/2 a Lemon, 1/3 cup of Pomegranate Arils, a Red Onion (only need 1/4 of it), and Sliced Almonds.
Start off by rinsing your quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. I know it’s a pain but it’s worth it.
In a small saucepan combine 2 cups of water and a cup of the rinsed quinoa and turn the heat to high.
While the quinoa comes to a boil, wash and pat dry the kale. Remove the leaves from the tough stem.
By now the quinoa was boiling. Give it a stir.
Pop the lid on and reduce the heat to low and simmer. Follow the package directions for cook times. Mine took about 17 minutes.
Thinly slice the kale leaves. You can see just how thin my kale was.
Then cut an onion into quarters and thinly slice one quarter.
You’ll also need to toast your almonds. Just grab a small, nonstick skillet and turn it to a medium high heat. Add the almonds to the dry skillet and stir often until you start to smell the nuts and they begin to turn a golden brown.
Once the quinoa is cooked fluff it lightly with a fork.
Add 1/3 cup of pomegranates to the quinoa and lightly cover with the lid and set the dish aside.
Grab a large skillet and heat it over a medium high heat. Add a good drizzle of olive oil (about a tablespoon or so) and let the oil get warm.
Add the slice onions and cook them until they are tender.
One the onions start to brown a bit, they’re good to go.
Add the sliced kale to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes. Be sure to taste the kale to make sure that it’s not bitter. If it is, you can add some water (not much) and cover and steam cook it a bit longer. Mine was great though.
Add kale to a large bowl.
Then add the pomegranates and quinoa to the bowl.
Drizzle with a little olive oil and combine.
Finally add the toasted almonds, juice of half of a lemon, salt and pepper, and more oil if needed. Then serve immediately. Top with goat cheese and enjoy! This was so delightful that I’m already craving it again! Happy cooking!!
1 cup Quinoa, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup Pomegranate
Olive oil, for cooking
1/4 of a Red onion
1 small bunch of Kale (discard the tough ribs)
salt and pepper
1/2 cup Goat Cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup sliced or slivered Almonds, toasted
Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
1. Start off by rinsing your quinoa then combine the cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Follow your package instructions on cooking…typically reduce to low and simmer for 15-25 minutes.
2. While the quinoa cooks, toast 1/4 cup of almonds. As the almonds toast, clean the kale and rip off the leaves to disgard the ribs. Thinly slice about half a bunch of kale (you don’t need too much here). Then slice a quarter of a red onion thinly.
3. When the quinoa is cooked, remove it from the heat and add the pomegranate arils and let it sit lightly covered.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and once it’s hot, add the onions. Cook for a couple of minutes until they are tender.
5. Add the kale to the onions and saute for about 5 minutes. Be sure to taste the kale and make sure it is no longer bitter. (If it is, you can throw a little water in, cover it and steam the kale for a couple of minutes.)
6.Toss the sauteed kale, quinoa and pomegranates and a drizzle of olive oil. Then add the toasted almonds salt and pepper, juice of half a lemon and more oil if needed. Then serve and top with goat cheese. Enjoy!