(Recipe can be found on the site OMG Chocolate Desserts here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
Chicken Taquitos with Avocado Lime Cream will come together quickly to make a great weeknight meal. Here’s what you’ll need for the taquitos: Shredded Chicken (about a cup), 2 1/2 tablespoons of diced Red Onions, 1/2 cup of diced Green Peppers, Olive Oil, Cayenne Pepper, Ground Cumin, Salsa (whatever you like is great), Salt, 1/2 cup of Corn, 3 tablespoons of Melted Butter (or use cooking spray to keep it lighter), at least 8 6-inch Flour Tortillas, your favorite cheese (Sharp Cheddar all the way for me), and a clove of minced Garlic.
Start off by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. Then grab a non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat. Then add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
Side note here – the cilantro was missing from the first picture, because I didn’t have fresh cilantro. I forgot about the freeze-dried cilantro in the cabinet and it works great!
Add the onions and peppers to the hot pan and saute for about 5 minutes or until they’re tender.
While the veggies cook, measure out your salsa so you have a little over 1/2 cup (a tablespoon over is great).
After 5-7 minutes, the veggies were cooked.
Then add 1/2 cup of canned corn that you drained along with the minced clove of garlic plus a teaspoon of cumin and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Stir to combine and continue cooking for a couple of minutes or until you can start to smell the spices.
Then add the chicken and salsa to the pan.
Then stir well.
Remove the pan from the heat and add a cup of cheese and 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro.
Then stir to combine and keep mixing until the cheese melts. Add a pinch of salt to taste and your filling is done!
Then you’ll lay out your tortillas and start filling them. I filled 9 tortillas by spooning a couple of soup spoonfuls worth of filling down the center of the tortilla.
Then roll up the tortilla tightly and set aside and keep filling the remaining tortillas.
Here they are in their filled up glory!
Brush some melted butter along the bottom and sides of the pan. This is going to help the taquitos brown on the bottom. Normally I’d use cooking spray but I wanted to try the butter. UPDATE: I have made this several times since, and have sprayed liberally with cooking spray and the taquitos turn out just as amazing!
Then pack your taquitos into the baking dish.
Finally brush some more melted butter (or liberally spray with cooking spray) over the top of the taquitos to help them brown up a bit when baking. A note on the butter: While I had melted 3 tablespoons of butter, I didn’t come close to using all of it. Pop the dish in the oven and bake 15-18 minutes or until they begin to brown lightly.
While the taquitos bake, whip up the avocado cream sauce. All you’ll need is some Salt, 1 Avocado, 4 ounces of Sour Cream (I prefer light sour cream), and 1 Lime (you’ll need 2 tablespoons).
Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop the inside into a small bowl. Then add the 4 ounces of sour cream, a pinch of salt (to taste), and 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice. (Serioulsy does much else smell better than lime or basil?!)
Simply use a fork or small potato masher to mash up the avocado and combine the sauce. You’ll want it to be fairly smooth so mash away. That’s it … the sauce is done!
When the taquitos are done, they’ll be nicely browned along the edges. Use a spatula to serve them up and eat right away with the avocado lime cream sauce for dipping. Happy taquito making!!
- For Taquitos:
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2½ tbsp Red Onion, diced
- ½ cup Green Bell Pepper, diced
- ½ cup canned Corn, drained
- 1 garlic Clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup Chicken Breast, cooked and shredded
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon salsa (pick your favorite)
- 2 tablespoon chopped Fresh Cilantro (or freeze-dried works as well)
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar, but use your favorite that will melt in the filling)
- Salt, to taste
- 8 6-inch Flour Tortillas
- 3 tablespoon Butter, melted (or cooking spray to lighten up the recipe)
- For Avocado Cream:
- 1 ripe Avocado
- 4 ounce Sour Cream (I prefer light sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- Salt, to taste
- Start off by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Then in a non-stick skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, saute the red onion and green peppers for about 5 minutes or until they become tender.
- Add the corn, garlic, cayenne pepper, and cumin to the pan and stir for about 2-3 minutes or until you can smell the spices and it's well combined.
- Add the chicken and salsa to the pan next and stir to combine.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese and cilantro and add a pinch of salt. Stir well.
- Now it's time to assemble the taquitos. You should be able to fill 8-10 tortillas. Using a soup spoon, add the filling down the center of the tortilla and then roll it up tightly. Once all taquitos are rolled up, butter the baking dish (or spray liberally with cooking spray) and pack the dish with the taquitos. Brush additional butter (or again cooking spray) over the top of the taquitos to help them brown.
- Bake about 15-18 minutes or until the tops of the taquitos are browning lightly. (I let mine go about 17-18 minutes but keep an eye on them.)
- While the taquitos bake, combine the sour cream, lime juice, salt, and the avocado in a small bowl. Use a fork or small potato masher to mix the sauce together until it is as smooth as you would like. Serve up the taquitos right away and dip in the avocado cream sauce. Enjoy!