(Recipe can be found on the site Lauren’s Latest here.)
Step by Step Instructions:
I know it looks like a lot of ingredients but I had most of this on hand to throw together this 30 Minute Bang Bang Chicken. You’ll need: Salt & Pepper, Olive Oil, Turmeric, Curry Powder, Crushed Red Pepper, Peanut Butter, a small Zucchini julienned, Peanuts (optional for topping), Flour, Heavy Cream, Sugar, 1/2 a large Onion diced, sliced Carrots (the recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups and I had a little less than a cup and it worked great), Chicken Broth, a can of Coconut Milk, Brown Rice (to serve over), Chicken Breast cut into bite-sized pieces (I used 2 medium chicken breasts), and 3/4 cup of frozen peas.
Start off by preheating a large pan over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to it.
Once the oil is hot, add the chicken.
Cook the chicken until it’s mostly cooked through. I cooked mine for about 3 1/2 minutes, but use your best judgment.
To the cooked chicken, add the sliced carrots, diced onions, and julienned zucchini sticks. Saute the veggies for about 5 minutes.
Once the veggies are cooked add 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour and stir it up .
Cook the flour with the chicken and veggies for about a minute.
Add one cup of chicken stock to the pan, and salt and pepper to taste.
Stir all of the ingredients together and bring it to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce.
Once the sauce is simmering add 1 can of coconut milk, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 4 tablespoons of sugar, 2 teaspoons of curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
Then stir the sauce and continue to simmer it for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Right before you’re ready to serve add in 1/4 cup of heavy cream and 3/4 cup of frozen peas and combine. Cook the sauce until the peas are warmed through. Then serve the sauce over brown rice and devour. This was absolutely delicious and I loved packing in all of the vegetables! Happy simmering!
Makes approximately 4 Servings
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces (I used 2 medium chicken breasts)
1 small zucchini, julienned
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
1/2 large onion, diced
1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
salt & pepper, to taste
1 can coconut milk
2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
4 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup frozen peas
peanuts and toasted coconut for garnish, optional
brown rice for serving
1. Begin by heating 3 tablespoons of olive oil at a medium heat.
2. Once the oil is hot, add in the chicken and cook it for at least 2 minutes or until it’s mostly cooked through. (I’m paranoid about raw chicken, so I cooked mine for at least 3 1/2 minutes.)
3. Next add the zucchini, carrots, and onion to the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes.
4. To the chicken and veggies, add 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour. Stir and cook for about a minute.
5. Add a cup of chicken stock, and salt and pepper to taste to the pan. You’ll want to bring it to a boil and then turn the heat to low and simmer.
6. Once the sauce is simmering, add in the can of coconut milk, peanut butter, sugar, and your spices including curry powder, turmeric, and red pepper flakes. Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
7. You can keep the sauce warm, but once you’re ready to serve add in 1/4 cup of heavy cream and 3/4 cup of frozen peas. Heat the sauce until the peas are warmed through.
8. Serve over brown rice, or white if you choose, but the brown rice is nice and hearty and holds up well to this dish. Feel free to top with peanuts and toasted coconut if you’d like.